Thursday, December 12, 2013

THE REAL MEANING OF SUSPENSE by Rolynn Anderson


SUSPENSE AND MY NEW KNEES

I thought I understood the meaning of ‘suspense,’ until a doctor slit both of my knees and inserted artificial cartilage in them (my own cartilage disappeared, you see…osteoarthritis can do that to a generally healthy person like me.)  I'd done the research: in less than two years my gait and my golf game would go to hell.

So I picked the finest doctor and staff in the country and and chose to have the operation while I still wasn’t in a lot of pain and my golf index and my gait weren’t too much off the mark. 

Scared?  You bet.  In suspense.  Oh my, yes!  Would my knees ‘carry me?’  Would they be strong enough for me to handle normal household tasks, including gardening.  Could I still play a good round of golf and hike fairly easy terrain?  How about sexual activity or dancing or hours of shopping.  Could I enjoy all that, too? Would the damn things click and be stiff and zap me with pain, to remind me I was part robot-woman?  Would I be forever taking pain-killing anti-inflammatories to ease my discomfort.

Could I sit at a computer for hours and write like I used to?

See what I mean by suspense?  I am suspended by these questions.  And now I’ve suspended you, haven’t I?

This is my seventh week of recovery from my bi-lateral knee replacement.   Presently, I can’t answer any one of the questions/concerns I’ve raised above.  Maybe next month, I’ll be able to relieve some of the suspense…in a good way, I hope.  Give each of your knees a love pat…they are working so hard for you!  Mine?  We'll see.

SUSPENSE SPIKED WITH ROMANCE 
LAST RESORT * FADEOUT * SWOON
FADEOUT won a RONE award!  LIE CATCHERS coming December 27th!
Web: http://www.rolynnanderson.com  

2 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Good luck to you, Rolynn. By waiting as long as I did before having my knees replaced, I messed up my back (changed gait). It's been 2 yrs for 1 knee and 3 yrs for the other. Kneeling is painful so gardening is difficult. The knees don't click. LOL Everybody is different. Because you didn't wait too long, I'll bet you'll be golfing again soon.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thank you Diane. Your encouragement helps...I didn't want to jump the gun with something this important!